Have you ever had coconut yogurt?? I'm going to go out there and say that store bought may be the most heinous thing I have ever seen. It's grey and gelatinous and just so disgusting!
But homemade. Omg people. It's friggin delicious. And easy peasy! I'm keeping things simple. I've seen a lot of recipe adding agar agar or arrowroot powder. Just don't. Let's ditch the added starches and go for full flavour!
I use the coconut cream from the top of the can. Save the water for smoothies. You can use the whole can but your yogurt is going to end up more like the consistency of kefir. Not what I was after. I want thick, creamy, deliciousness!!
For all intents and purposes, your oven/oven light are going to play the role of an incubator for all those amazing probiotics. We will slightly warm your coconut milk, whisk in your probiotic capsules, and add to sterilized jars! Pop it in the oven and forget about it over night!!
Super easy. Try it out!!
2 cans organic coconut milk, thick cream on top only (reserve the water for smoothies etc)
1 tsp maple strup
2 probiotic capsules, contents only (ditch the capsules!)
1. Turn your oven on to 200F. Leave it for five minutes and then turn it off. We are just preheating to take the chill off. After this, the oven light will be enough heat to maintain a happy growing environment for the probiotics!
2. Add coconut cream and maple syrup to a saucepan. We are going to gently heat over medium-low for a couple minutes. Whisk to combine and remove from heat.
3. Let the coconut cream mixture cool until it is below 100F (~40C- think a little warmer than body temperature).
4. Whisk in the contents of your two probiotic capsules.
5. Transfer this mixture into a pint size sterilized glass jar. (To sterilize the jar you can run it through the dishwasher, pour boiling water into and let it sit for a few minutes, or boil the jars in water.
6. Pop the kid on the jar and place into the oven. Turn on the oven light ONLY! We don't need anymore heat.
7. Leave for 10-12 hours, or up to 24. The longer your leave it, the more tangy it will be. I leave mine for ~ 12 hours.
8. Remove from oven and place into refrigerator. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours and then use as you would any yogurt! I topped mine with cherries and blueberries! So yummy!!
Note: Your yogurt may separate a bit, just stir it up!