AHHH! It's my favourite time of year! It's cool, but not cold. There's a earthy smell in the air and ALL of my sweaters are about to be dug out of the closet! Fall is here, yo!
My condolences to all my summer-loving friends, but Fall is just the tits. My dogs are happy and loving life. We sleep like champs and my air conditioner is getting a much needed rest after the gross summer we just had. Plus, there's hushed whispers about the holiday season. We would never act on anything before Remembrance Day (hubby is actively serving), but you bet your ass Christmas talks have already gone on! (Pluuuuuus, I totally just bought a big ass Christmas tree online because, since moving to this house and the mega-high ceilings, our little 7.5 footer just isn't cutting it)
So yah... Coles notes version of this: I love Fall (and Christmas) and it's time to usher in all things Fall. Like soup! I know I posted my vegetable soup recipe last week and it's a gooder, but who doesn't like Italian Wedding Soup. I mean, my Trenton mil spouses know ALL about East Side Mario's and the unlimited soup and salad racket they've got going on. Frick it's good. But the pasta kills me. So me, being me, said "nuts to that" and made it Paleo. And better Annnnnd just plain awesome!
Now, I'm sure my version is a bastardized one, at best. Because any Italian reading this would probably lose their mind at the fact that I eliminated the pasta. But the flavour is bang on, and my little shreds of sweet potato ended up cooking down and are little round flecks that look just like the tiny pasta. Totally planned it that way (not so much, but a happy surprise!).
So let's get this soup started!
1/2lb ground pork
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper.
1. Mix together in a medium sized bowl.
2. Measure out 2 tsp portions and roll into mini meatballs.
3. Set aside until soup is boiling.
1 onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 small sweet potato, shredded
1/4 cup avocado/olive oil
4 cups of chopped fresh kale (or spinach! If you are using frozen, I would cut this in half as it will have already been blanched before freezing)
8 cups chicken stock (bone stock is better!)
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
sea salt, to taste
1. Add oil and onions to a large soup/stock pot and saute over medium for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add in garlic, carrots, and celery and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes. Add in spices, kale and chicken stock.
3. Increase heat to medium-high, add in shredded sweet potato and bring the whole pot to a boil.
4. Once boiling, start to gently stir your pot of soup. While stirring, drop in your mini meatballs.
5. Once all the meatballs, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 25-30 minutes.
6. After the 30 minutes, season with salt (to your taste!!), and enjoy!!