Braised Red Cabbage
Wait... Wait! Come back! Forget all that cabbage soup diet nonsense and just let me say my peace.
Cabbage is amazing! Not only is if easy on the wallet, but it's delicious and versatile! It's full of fiber and antioxidants. It also belongs to the same family, and carries the same anti-cancer properties, as the oh-so-pretentious kale...it's just too humble to brag about it!
And I'm pairing it with bacon!!! Who doesn't like bacon?!?
6 cups finely shredded red cabbage
3 slices nitrate-free bacon
1 onions, chopped
3 tablespoons really good balsamic vinegar
1 cup bone broth
2 tablespoons avocado oil
Sea salt, to taste
1. Add oil and bacon to a large skillet (that has a cover).
2. Sauté, over medium heat, until bacon is brown and then add the onions.
3. Once onions are translucent, add your cabbage and stir to even coat the cabbage in the fat.
4. Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt.
5. Add in your balsamic and bone broth. Bring to a bubble, reduce heat to low, and cover.
6. Simmer until cabbage is tender and the liquid has evaporated.
7. Serve with your favourite meat and enjoy!!