I have being seeing these amazing photos of baked eggs from quite some time and all I can't think of is "I can do that!" This recipe starts with a base of Italian sausage, fresh zucchini, and tasty tomato sauce! Absolutely delicious!! Give it a try!!
1 lb bulk Italian sausage (or combine 1lb ground pork, 1/2 tsp crushed fennel seeds, 1/3 tsp salt, 1 tsp paprika & garlic powder, and 1/8 tsp cayenne)
1 small zucchini, siced
1 onion, diced
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried basil, oregano, and thyme
1/2 tsp chili flakes
4 tbsp ghee (or olive oil)
2 cups tomato sauce
1. Add ghee to cast iron (or oven proof skillet) and sauté onions and garlic over medium heat until translucent.
2. Add sausage meat and sauté until brown. Add zucchini and sauté until tender.
3. Add dried herbs, chili flakes, and tomato sauce.
4. Simmer until heated through.
5. Season with sea salt (to taste).
6. Remove from heat and, using a tablespoon, and make 4-6 wells into the tomato sauce.
7. Crack each egg into the wells and sprinkle each each with a small amount of salt.
8. Transfer pan to a 350F oven and bake until cooked to desired doneness!