Ok. These are strictly a selfish indulgence! If you follow my IG account, you will notice I posted a photo of some store-bought sriracha coconut chips. While they were tasty, and I loved the spice, I just wasn't in to the whole added cane sugar deal. I find coconut has a very sweet taste on its own, so the additional sweetness was overkill. That very same day, grabbed out some flaked coconut and went to town creating something savoury. Something delicious. Something (dare I say it) that reminds me of potato chips (minus all the nightshade-related joint paint)!
In in all honesty, you could make sooo many different flavours of this! I'm currently working on a buffalo wing version that I will post as soon as it's perfect.
Here's the kicker though guys....my husband, the chip-eating, junk-loving pilot in my life, absolutely LOVES these. He crushed a whole snack bag of them when I was driving him to the airport. They are that good! Give them a try, you won't regret it!
3 cups large coconut flakes (unsweetened and organic)
2 tbsp melted ghee (or coconut oil to keep things dairy-free)
1 tbsp coconut aminos
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2-3/4 tsp fine sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 300F.
2. Place coconut in a medium bowl.
3. Whisk together ghee, coconut aminos, spices, and salt.
4. Pour ghee mixture over coconut flakes and mix to coat evenly.
5. Dump coconut flakes on to a parchment-lined baking tray and place in oven.
6. Stir every 5 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool completely (so they are crispy!).