To can fresh peaches!! Now that the craziness of our move and vacation is over with, I've brought my focus back onto sourcing real food in our new location! To be honest, my focus has been entrapped by the thought of canning peaches!
I'm lucky enough to already have a Winnipeg-based friend, fellow teacher, and military wife. It was at her house that we canned 19 jars of these beautiful, jewel-toned BC peaches!!!
Both of us were focused on canning with no added sugar so we chose to use fruit juice instead. We chose to use the Lakewood Organic 100% Pineapple juice that is not from concentrate. Feel free to check it out here. The flavour pairs beautifully with the peaches and left these babies being, technically, Whole30 compliant, as long as it's not a "sex with your pants on" kinda thing for you!
Well let's get into it!
Approximately 20lbs fresh Peaches
4-1L jars of Lakewood Organic Pineapple Juice
20-500mL glass canning jars complete with snap lids and rings(I like Bernardin or Golden Harvest)
1. Place jars and rings in dishwasher and run wash on "sanitize" with a heated drying option. Keep hot until ready to use.
2. Peel and slice peaches.
3. Pour all the juice into a large pot (we used a second water bath canning pot) and bring to a simmer.
4. Add peaches into juice (called a hot pack), and warm gently.
5. In a smaller pot, fill with water and bring to boil. Reduce to simmer and add in snap lids. And keep hot.
6. Remove hot jars from the dishwasher and carefully fill jars with peaches. Add juice to fill jar, leaving 1/2" headspace.
7. Wipe the rim of jars, and then place snap lids on top. Secure with rings (only tighten "fingertip tight".
8. Place jars into water canning pot and fi pot with water so that the jars are covered by an inch of water. Bring to a boil.
9. Once boiling, starting your timing!
Check out this chart for size of jar, altitude, and type of pack.
We processed ours for twenty minutes!
10. Once timer is done, remove from canner and place in safe place to cool.
11. Enjoy! Oh and try not to hoard them!